So Hubs has been on a bit of a fitness drive since January, (and I am super proud of him for it!) which has required something of a rethink of how and what we eat. Suddenly we’re thinking about macros and measuring protein. So anyway, we realised that lunches needed a bit of a revamp. We’ve experimented with tuna salad, which is, ya know, fine, I guess. And we’ve eaten so much humus I think I might BE a chickpea. But a winner so far is this one. A warming, comforting, filling soup with chicken AND quinoa for a protein double whammy.
I used homemade chicken stock, because it makes me feel smug. (You can see my recipe for slow cooker stock here)
Makes 4 lunches:
1 onions, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium carrots, finely diced
2 sticks of Celery, finely diced
2/3 cup of quinoa
1.25 litres chicken stock
As much left over Roast chicken as you can muster (about a cup?)
Half a lemon
Plenty of salt and black pepper
- Sweat your onions, garlic, carrot and celery in a little oil or butter for 5mins until the onion is soft.
- Add your quinoa and swoosh it around with the veg and oil so it takes on lots or flavours
- Add the stock, bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 mins until the quinoa is translucent and tender.
- Add your chicken and stir through to warm.
- Squeeze in half a lemon and a good handful of finely chopped parsley.
- Check you seasoning – this will need plenty of ground black pepper. If using a stock cube you probably won’t need much salt. If using homemade you can be a little more liberal. But remember, you can always add more salt – you can’t take it away.